Funding for public art commissions is normally drawn down from multiple sources
- Existing design budgets as part of regeneration schemes (e.g. landscaping, lighting, street furniture etc).
- Arts Council England – various strands at differing scales (Project Grants; Cultural Development Fund etc.). NB Barnsley Borough has been identified as a ‘Priority Place’ for Arts Council (2021-24), this means that Arts Council is keen to develop new opportunities for investment in the area.
- Section 106 planning contributions - Barnsley Local Plan policy I1 Infrastructure and Planning Obligations outlines the conditions when contributions will be sought. These contributions might meet a need for new or improved provision of roads and other services, public transport, Green Infrastructure, recreation and open space facilities and infrastructure that will make Barnsley a better place such as public realm improvements, educational accommodation, affordable housing and also adequate community facilities.
- Opportunities from the Government’s Levelling Up agenda and other sources of central government funding which may arise.
- Trusts and Foundations (National).
- Trusts and Foundations (Local).
- Heritage - e.g. National Lottery Heritage Fund; Historic England.
- Community - e.g. National Lottery Community Fund.
- Health & Wellbeing – e.g. Wellcome Trust.
- Digital / Innovation – e.g. Arts Council England.
- Landfill Tax Credits - various schemes based on the geography of your project.
- Local funds e.g. Town / Parish Councils.
- Private Donation, Business sponsorship.
- Individuals – crowdfunding, community fundraisers.