As a general rule it’s best to check upfront if your project will require any specific permissions. Depending on the nature of your project and the site/s, content and longevity of the artwork it may require a temporary licence, full planning permission, advertisement consent, listed building consent or you may need a licence to install a private apparatus in a publicly maintainable highway. 

It’s important to note that seeking the required permissions takes time and this should be built into your schedule with an allowance for slippage and there are cost implications that need to be accounted for in your overall budget.

Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent

The National Planning Policy Framework (2019) states that the planning system should, “take into account and support the delivery of local strategies to improve health, social and cultural well-being for all sections of the community.” [Page 27].

If your project is to create a permanent artwork/s the likelihood is that you will require full planning permission. Barnsley Council offer Pre Application Advice which is a paid service that may be suitable for larger scale projects.

If the proposed site is located within a Conservation Area or impacts on a nationally listed building it may require planning permission or listed building consent or both.