Welcome to the Civic 1878
The Civic, Barnsley, is one of the most prominent historic buildings on Eldon Street. Built as the Mechanics Institute and Public Hall, it opened in 1878 and has supported local people to engage with culture, education and the arts ever since. During the first lock down in 2020, we worked with the Civic and local artists to create a digital exhibition about the early years of the building. This allowed people to access the building remotely at a time when we couldn’t visit in person. Travel back in time and see what this Barnsley landmark was like when it first opened its doors in 1878.
The HSHAZ also supported an exciting cultural programme ‘Teenage Wildlife’ led by the Civic, Barnsley, and working with other cultural partners including Barnsley Libraries, to record and celebrate the experiences of teenagers on Eldon Street through the years.
Visit The Teenage Wildlife website for more